PSEGLI Communications Technician Job PSEG Hicksvilleby admin on May 29, 2020
PSEG Jobs 2020Description :
Requisition ID: 58621
Job Function/Category: Craftworkers
Employment Type: Non-Exempt Full Time
This is an exciting time to be joining . Our commitments, which include safety, integrity, customer focus, and diversity & inclusion, are the fabric of our culture and help drive the success of our business. We are fortunate to have an outstanding workforce of diverse and highly skilled talent who move us forward in our operational excellence journey. has more than 12,000 employees who are dedicated to the communities we serve and embody our vision: People providing Safe, Reliable, Economic and Greener Energy.
The Long Island Power Authority (LIPA) and -Long Island (-LI) operate a private radio network for two-way voice communications in support of Transmission & Distribution (T&D) field operations and the Distribution Automation data communications network. The dispatching headquarters are located in four regional offices located in Hewlett, Hicksville, Brentwood and Riverhead, New York. Each regional headquarters communicate through base stations in its region to its field crews. The Distribution Automation System provides automatic sectionalizing of distribution feeders. This infrastructure is comprised of 2700 ASU/ACR/MLBS/PMH/ATO/ASUV/CAP BANK switches that provide SCADA (supervisory control and data acquisition) to the regional control rooms.
Two Shifts Available:
- 7:00 AM to 3:30 PM
- 3:00 PM to 11:30 PM
- Works independently or with another Technician to perform the highest technical work associated with repair, test, maintenance and installation of complex communication and electronic equipment including two-way radio, microwave, satellite, wireless cell site.
- Performs all necessary tests and adjustments and submits written reports and test data sheets. Investigates and corrects audio, radio, video and microwave interference complaints and follows up with such complaints. Technician is responsible for the installation, repair and maintenance of Company owned communications system, Remote Terminal Units (RTUs) devices, SEL controllers and data control systems.
- Performs all types of work on communications equipment and other electronic equipment involving solid-state integrated circuit and computer technologies.
- Must have a good working knowledge of basic principles of solid-state electronics and apply this knowledge by working with electronic and electrical diagrams and sketches in the installation of communications equipment.
- Having a good working knowledge of high speed (4800/9600/19200 baud and higher) digital data transmission principles, distributed network protocol, internet protocol networking, P25 trunking radio standard, fiber optic principles and servicing techniques on all types of communications channels.
- Must have a valid FCC General Radio Telephone Operator’s license and current knowledge of FCC rules, regulations and practices as pertaining to federally licensed systems used by the Company. Also, recommends the purchase of materials and equipment and the establishment of spare parts’ requirements.
- Operates company motor vehicles and/or equipment necessary to perform job duties. Performs other comparable duties, as well as, coordinates activities with other departments or sections.
- Ability to troubleshoot Console Dispatch equipment and vehicle mobile communication devices. Must be able to use computers to program radio equipment, upgrade the required firmware and capable of database entry is required.
- Technician will maintain the Radio communications infrastructure of the Distribution Automation SCADA System, which includes installing and repairing Pole Top Remote Terminal Units, Antenna alignments, Communications testing, and Interference analysis.
- Must be able to perform the duties outlined above in shop or outside field conditions from a ladder or aerial lift device. Must be able to work in aerial lift device as required to maintain or install communications equipment.
- Two year college degree in Electronics Engineering is required.
- Minimum three (3) years of experience in radio operations.
- APPLICANTS MUST POSSESS A VALID FCC GENERAL RADIO TELEPHONE OPERATOR LICENSE prior to commencing employment at Long Island. However, Applicants can submit the job application and obtain the FCC license in parallel to the hiring selection process.
- A valid NYS driver’s license, and successful completion of a Company driving test.
- A written entrance exam on basic electric principles and exam on physical working skills is also required as part of the requirements for acceptance into this position.
- Perform arithmetic or algebraic and geometric procedures in standard practical applicatins
- Radio Frequency Theory.
- Federal Communications Commission (FCC) and other federal, state and local broadcasting regulations.
- Radio technical operations.
- Basic computer networking and infrastructure.
- Broad understanding of electrical, mechanical, and telephone systems.
- Current and developing trends in radio broadcast equipment and transmission systems.
- Reading and comprehending technical and operational manuals and instructions, safety rules, policies and procedures, and instruction manuals.
- Reading and interpreting blueprints and schematics drawings.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work effectively with a wide range of vendors, contractors, and colleagues in a diverse community.
As an employee of PSE&G or Long Island, you should be aware that during storm restoration efforts, you may be required to perform functions outside of your routine duties and on a schedule that may be different from normal operations.
This site is strictly for candidates who are not currently employees. employees must apply for jobs internally through empower which can be accessed through the mypseg homepage by clicking on the employee center tab, then under the empower header, choose careers.
Business needs may cause to cancel or delay filling position at any time during the selection process.
Certain positions at the Company may require you to have access to Part 810-Controlled Information. Under the law, the Company is limited in who it can share this information with and in certain circumstances it is necessary to obtain specific authorization before the Company can share this information. Accordingly, if the position does require access to this information, you must complete a 10 CFR Part 810 Export Control Compliance Nationality Request Form, a copy of which will be provided to you by Talent Acquisition if an offer is made. If there is a need for specific authorization, due to the time it takes to obtain authorization from the government, we will likely not be able to further proceed with an offer.
Public Service Enterprise Group () is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to a policy of non-discrimination in employment, including the hiring process, based on any legal protected characteristic. Legally protected characteristics included, race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, sexual orientation, disability, or veteran status or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law in locations where employs individuals.
If your qualification is matched with the requirement above, please submit your online application directly through PSEG system at :
Please note that we do not accept any CV submissions. If You want to apply for a job that you have discovered on karomall.com, simply click on the provided job application link and follow the instructions afterwards. You'll be taken to a more detailed page.