Assistant Professor Of Geography Job South Dakota State University Brookingsby admin on more than 30 days
South Dakota State University Job Vacancies 2021Description :
Posting Number F00569P
Department SDSU-Geography & Geospatial Sciences
Physical Location of Position (City) Brookings
The Department of Geography & Geospatial Sciences at South Dakota State University seeks applications for a tenure-track faculty position with a specialization in the application of Geospatial Technologies with an emphasis in Agriculture at the rank of Assistant Professor to begin Fall Semester, 2021. This is a 9-month, full-time, benefit eligible position, and is supervised by the Department Head for Geography and Geospatial Sciences. The Department of Geography & Geospatial Sciences offers B.S. degrees in Geography, GISc and Community and Regional Planning, a B.A. degree in Geography, M.S. degrees in Geography and Geography – GISc Specialization, a PhD. in Geospatial Science and Engineering, and has a strength in remote sensing. The Department also houses the Geospatial Sciences Center of Excellence.
SDSU is especially interested in candidates that can contribute to and/or coordinate course offerings that address the experiences of underrepresented minorities in organizations. Women, minorities, veterans, and people with disabilities are especially encouraged to apply.
- Teach undergraduate courses in areas of Geospatial Technologies with a focus on precision agriculture and/or land cover land use change (LCLUC); and develop a graduate course in area of specialty.
- Periodically teach Seminars and Special Topics, and mentor Independent Study as needed.
- Advise and mentor undergraduate and graduate students.
- Develop a research program which includes extramural sources of funds and publishing in peer-reviewed national and international journals.
- Participate in University, College, and Department governance and service; participate in professional service and outreach activities.
- PhD in Geography or closely related field by first day of employment;
- Ability to teach introductory and advanced courses in Geospatial Technologies with a focus on precision agriculture and/or land cover land use change (LCLUC) using Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UASs), remote sensing, or Geographic Information Systems, and related technologies;
- Ability to develop a strategic research plan;
- Ability to engage in Geographic Information Science at the national level;
- Potential to publish the results of original research in peer-reviewed journals, and develop an independent, externally-funded research program;
- Effective written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills.
- Interest in areas that complement the department’s strengths, including Biogeography, Biogeochemical cycles, Ecosystems Services, Environmental Change, Hazards, Hydrology, Soils, Transportation Geography or Urban Agriculture.
- Interest in strengthening the department’s relationship with the Earth Resources Observation and Science (EROS) Center of the United States Geological Survey (USGS) through collaborative work.
- Interest in collaborative work with the SDSU Precision Agriculture program.
- Ability to integrate a wide range of geospatial techniques in research and teaching.
South Dakota State University offers a wide range of benefits including medical, dental, and flexible benefits, retirement plans, compensation packages, paid holidays, and vacation leave. Employees also have access to internal and state-sponsored training as well as reduced tuition for state-supported courses at all State of South Dakota academic institutions.
This system will guide you through the electronic application form. This employment site will also require the attachment of a cover letter, which should specifically address how the candidate meets the qualifications as outlined in the advertisement, Curriculum Vitae, and a reference page with the contact information for three professional references. Email applications will not be accepted. Please contact SDSU Human Resources at (605) 688-4128 if you require assistance with this process.
Any offer of employment is contingent on the university’s verification of credentials and other information required by law and/or university policies, including but not limited to, successful completion of a criminal background check.
South Dakota State University is a tobacco free environment.
It is the policy of the University to maintain a drug-free environment and to thereby establish, promote, and maintain a safe and healthy working and learning environment for employees and students. This position is subject to South Dakota State University’s Drug and Alcohol Testing Policy 4:14.
Posting Date 09/18/2020
Open Until Filled Yes
First Consideration Date 10/30/2020
Advertised Salary Commensurate with qualifications.
Duration of the Term 9 months
If Other, describe duration
Appointment Percent 100
Tenure Status Tenure Track
Proposed Rank Assistant Professor
Typical Hours Worked Per Week
Appointment Type Regular
Scope of Search External (includes Internal)
If internal, define scope of search
Department Description and Cultural Expectations
Ranked as the No. 2 best place to work in South Dakota by Forbes, South Dakota State University is the state’s largest, most comprehensive university with more than 200 programs and an enrollment of approximately 12,000 students.
SDSU offers a rich academic experience in an environment of inclusion and access through inspired, student-centered education, creative activities and research, innovation and engagement that improve the quality of life in South Dakota, the region, the nation and the world. Its employees embrace the university’s core values of being people-centered, expanding knowledge through creativity, embracing organizational and personal integrity, commitment to diversity, and excellence through continuous improvement.
As the state’s 1862 Morrill Act land-grant institution, the work of the university is carried out on its main resident campus in Brookings, at sites in Sioux Falls, Pierre, Rapid City, and Aberdeen, and through Extension offices and Agricultural Experiment Station research sites across South Dakota.
SDSU was recognized as one of 54 institutions in the United States as an Innovation and Economic Prosperity University by the Association of Public and Land-Grant Universities in 2014. The university’s total research expenditures are greater than $60 million. SDSU is the state’s first High Research Activity institution as classified by the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching.
Jackrabbits Athletics competes as an NCAA Division I member with membership in the Missouri Valley Football Conference, the Summit League and the Big XII for wrestling.
Brookings is home to approximately 24,000 residents and is located 50 miles north of Sioux Falls and 200 miles west of Minneapolis. Livability.com rates Brookings as an ideal community for families, students, young professionals and retirees. It considers Brookings among the safest and most vibrant cities in South Dakota.
The Brookings Public School District educates approximately 3,300 K-12 students and ranks among the state’s highest academic achieving school districts. The district includes three elementary schools, an intermediate school for fourth and fifth grade, one middle school and a high school.
The city also boasts an abundance of attractions and activities, including the Children’s Museum of South Dakota, Dakota Nature Park, South Dakota Art Museum, McCrory Gardens, South Dakota Agricultural Heritage Museum, Outdoor Adventure Center and the Brookings Summer Arts Festival.
Affirmative Action Statement
South Dakota State University is committed to affirmative action, equal opportunity and the diversity of its faculty, staff and students. Women, minorities, veterans, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Arrangements for accommodations required by disabilities can be made by emailing [email protected] SDSU prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, citizenship, ancestry, gender, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran’s status or any other protected class in the offering of all educational programs and employment opportunities. Individuals with concerns regarding discrimination should contact: Equal Opportunity Officer/Title IX Coordinator, Human Resources, Morrill Hall 100, SDSU, Brookings, SD 57007. Phone: (605) 688-4128.
We are committed to diversity of community and ideas. We believe in a supportive, diverse, collaborative, and cohesive environment with a focus on access. We actively seek collaboration with individuals with differing perspectives, backgrounds, and areas of expertise.
For questions on the position, contact the Search Chair, Dr. George White at 605-688-4831 or [email protected]
Should you meet the qualifications required, please register and apply to South Dakota State University website with link as follow :
Please note that we do not accept any CV submissions. If You want to apply for a job that you have discovered on karomall.com, simply click on the provided job application link and follow the instructions afterwards. You'll be taken to a more detailed page.