Student Trainee (IT Support) Job US Department of the Interior Orlandoby admin on more than 30 days
US Department of the Interior Jobs 2020Description :
- Provide assistance to staff in using various computer equipment and software serving as independent first or second level user support.
- Image, install, and configure laptop and desktop computers to meet end user needs. Map drives, printers, other peripherals according to user needs.
- Assist in the installation of new and revised commercial off-the-shelf software packages.
- Perform self-guided routine updates of various microcomputer operating systems and applications. Self-directed physical plant maintenance and user space setup and care.
- Job family (Series)
0399 Administration And Office Support Student Trainee
RequirementsRequirements Conditions of Employment
- Applicants must be U.S. Citizens.
- Suitable for Federal employment, as determined by background investigation.
- The entire period served under the Intern Program counts as a trial period.
- Housing will not be provided.
- Selectee must provide a valid state driver's license & safe driving record.
Are There Any Special Requirements For This Position?
- You will be required to operate a government-owned or -leased vehicle in the performance of your official duties. Applicants for this position must meet the following requirements: (1) possess a valid State license, and (2) possess a safe driving record. If selected, you will be required to provide proof of a valid State license & a copy of your driving record.
- If converted to a permanent or term appointment, the anticipated target position will be IT Specialist with a full performance level of GS-12; however, the target position and FPL may change based on the need of the organization at that time. Interns must meet the qualification requirements for the position to which converted.
- If selected, you will be required to provide official transcripts &/or letter from the school stating you are enrolled in a degree/certificateprogram on at least a half time basis in good standing and your expected graduation date.
- A background investigation will be required for this position. Continued employment will be subject to the applicant's successful completion of a background security investigation and favorable adjudication. Failure to successfully meet these requirements will be grounds for termination.
This position is being filled under the Pathways Internship Program which is designed to provide students enrolled in a wide variety of educational institutions, from high school to graduate level, with paid work opportunities in agencies to explore Federal careers while still in school.
In order to be eligible for an appointment under the Pathways Internship Program:
- You must be a student accepted for enrollment or enrolled in a degree or certificate program on a full- or half-time basis as defined by the school (certificate program means post-secondary education, in a qualifying educational institution, equivalent to at least one academic year of full-time study that is part of an accredited college-level, technical, trade, vocational, or business school curriculum); AND
- Enrollment is with a qualifying educational institution such as a high school or state-approved homeschool; or accredited technical or vocational school; a 2- or 4-year college or university; a graduate or professional school (e.g., law school, medical school); or a post-secondary home school curriculum; AND
- Students currently enrolled must be in good academic standing maintaining a 2.0 grade point average on a cumulative basis; AND
- You must continue to meet these eligibility requirements throughout the duration of your appointment under the Pathways Internship Program.
This internship is geared toward students majoring in one of the following areas of study: computer science, information science, information systems management, mathematics, etcFor GS-04:
Applicants must meet one of the following to qualify for the GS-04 level:
One year of general experience which is defined as progressively responsible clerical, office, or other work that indicates ability to acquire the particular knowledge and skills needed to perform the duties of the position to be filled.
**OR two full years of successfully completed education above the high school level in any field for which high school graduation or the equivalent is the normal prerequisite.
**OR equivalent combinations of education and experience. (CLICK HERE FOR DETAILS ON HOW TO COMBINE EDUCATION & SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE)For GS-05:
Applicants must meet one of the following to qualify for the GS-05 level:
One year of specialized experience in or directly related to the position to be filled that equipped the applicant with the knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform successfully the duties of the position. To be creditable, the required specialized experience must have been equivalent to at least the GS-04 level in the Federal service.
Examples of GS-04 level work may include: 1) utilizing a terminal/computer equipment and software to enter data/information and retrieving all or parts of program outputs on demand; 2) monitoring accuracy and integrity of computer tracking reports; 3) providing assistance to computer operators and/or systems analysts to correct operational and control problems; 4) providing clerical support to an office when that included utilizing knowledge of word processing and data base systems. For examples 1-4, a designated authority provided assignments by clearly defining objectives, priorities, and deadlines. Initiative was used in carrying out recurring assignments independently. New or unusual problems were referred to a designated person for decisions or assistance. Work was reviewed for adequacy, technical soundness, and compliance with instructions or established procedures.
**OR a full four years of progressive, successfully completed education above the high school level in any field for which high school graduation or the equivalent was a prerequisite may be used to meet the qualification requirements for GS-05.
**OR a combination of successfully completed post-high school education, as described above, and specialized experience, as described above, may be used to meet the qualification requirements for GS-05. Only progressive education in excess of the first 60 semester hours, 90 quarter hours or 1440 classroom hours (i.e., beyond the first two years) of a course of study is creditable toward meeting the specialized experience requirement. (CLICK HERE FOR DETAILS ON HOW TO COMBINE EDUCATION & SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE)
You must meet all qualification and eligibility requirements for the position by the closing date of the announcement.Education
- Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g. Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
- Education completed in colleges or universities outside the United States may be used to meet the above requirements. You must provide acceptable documentation that the foreign education is comparable to that received in an accredited educational institution in the United States. For more information on how foreign education is evaluated, visit: https://www.usgs.gov/about/organization/science-support/human-capital/how-foreign-education-evaluated-federal-jobs .
USGS has determined that the duties of this position are suitable for telework and the selectee may be allowed to telework in accordance with the DOI Telework policy and with supervisor approval. The official worksite for the selectee is the duty station identified in this vacancy announcement. The selectee will typically report to this duty location on a regular and recurring weekly basis.
- For additional information on our internal telework policy, please reference the Department of the Interior Telework Handbook at: https://www.doi.gov/telework/policies.
- Students who successfully complete the internship program may be eligible for conversion to a permanent appointment or a term (1-4 years in duration) appointment. Eligibility requirements for conversion: must be a U.S. Citizen; complete at least 640 hours of work experience acquired through the Internship Program (*may waive up to a total of 320 hours under specific conditions); successfully complete your degree or certificate requirements from a qualifying institution; meet the qualification requirements for the position to which you will be converted; meet agency-specific requirements as outlined in the Participant's Agreement; and must have performed successfully in your position as documented through performance evaluations. *NOTE: To learn more about the conditions under which a portion of the work experience hours may be waived, visit http://www.usgs.gov/humancapital/sw/studentinterns.html.
- Applicants who include vulgar, offensive, or inappropriate language or information in their application package will be ineligible for further consideration for this position.
- Under Executive Order 11935, only United States citizens and nationals (residents of American Samoa and Swains Island) may compete for civil service jobs. Agencies are permitted to hire non-citizens only in very limited circumstances where there are no qualified citizens available for the position.
- USGS employees are subject to Title 43, USC Section 31(a) and may not: (a) have any personal, private, direct or indirect interest in lands or mineral wealth of lands under survey; (b) have any substantial personal, private, direct or indirect interests in any private mining or mineral enterprise doing business with the United States; or (c) execute surveys or examinations for private parties or corporations.
- The application contains information subject to the Privacy Act (P.L. 93-579, 5 USC 552a). The information is used to determine qualifications for employment, and is authorized under Title 5, USC, Section 3302 and 3361.
- DOI uses E-Verify to confirm the employment eligibility of all newly hired employees. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, please visit www.dhs.gov/E-Verify.
- THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER.
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Additional Information (Cont.)
- The availability of the various benefits depends on the expected duration of your appointment under the Internship Program. If you are expected to be on the appointment for at least one year, the U.S. Geological Survey offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays; health, life, dental, vision, and long term care insurance, flexible spending accounts, and participation in the Federal Employees Retirement System. If you are expected to be on the appointment less than one year, the benefits package includes paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays. In addition, interns expected to work at least 130 hours per month for at least 90 days will be eligible to enroll in a Federal Employee Health Benefits (FEHB) plan. Individuals eligible under this rule receive the full government contribution to their premiums regardless of work schedule and will also be eligible to participate in the Flexible Spending Accounts and Federal Long Term Care Insurance Program.
- -Basis of Rating: All applicants who meet the basic eligibility and qualification requirements will be referred to the selecting official in veterans' preference order.
To preview the announcement questionnaire, click here https://apply.usastaffing.gov/ViewQuestionnaire/10914935
Background checks and security clearance Security clearance
Not RequiredDrug test required
NoPosition sensitivity and risk
Non-sensitive (NS)/Low RiskTrust determination process
Required DocumentsRequired Documents
Required documents may be: 1) faxed to the Agency Contact (see "Contact Information"); 2) uploaded directly from your desktop; 3) uploaded directly from your USAJOBS stored attachments; 4) hand delivered to the servicing Human Resources Office (see 'Contact Information').If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
All applicants must submit the following documentation by the closing date of this job announcement to be considered:
-TRANSCRIPTS for all schools/universities that you have attended (AA, BS, MS, PhD, etc.). You may submit official or unofficial transcripts. Please ensure that all documentation is legible.
-PROOF OF ENROLLMENT FOR THE CURRENT OR UPCOMING SEMESTER. This may be documented on your official/unofficial transcripts, a course schedule, an acceptance letter from your university for future enrollment, or an official letter of enrollment from the university registrar's office or a university counselor, as long as your enrollment for the current or upcoming semester is clearly documented. If you do not provide proof of enrollment for the current or upcoming semester, you will be disqualified from further consideration.
-IF YOU ARE IN YOUR LAST SEMESTER/QUARTER of completing your degree/certificate requirements, you must show proof of acceptance to a continuing degree/certificate program. This may be documented by an acceptance letter for future enrollment in a degree/certificate program. If you do not provide proof of continuing education, you will be disqualified from further consideration.All documentation may be faxed, mailed, document uploaded, or hand delivered to the servicing Human Resources Office (see "Contact Information"). If selected, you will be required to provide official transcripts.
Veterans Preference: If you are claiming veterans' preference you must provide a legible copy of your DD-214, Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty, member 4 copy or any official documentation from the Armed Forces that confirms your dates of service and that your separation, discharge, or release from active duty was under honorable conditions (i.e., Honorable or General Discharge).
Note: If you have more than one DD-214 for multiple periods of active duty, submit a copy for each period of service.
If you are currently on active military duty, you must provide documentation (e.g., campaign document, award citation, etc.), that verifies entitlement to veterans' preference and that your character of military service is honorable.
If you are claiming 10-point veterans' preference, in addition to the documents specified above, you must also submit documentation that supports your claim, e.g., an official statement from the Department of Veterans Affairs (dated 1991 or later) or from a branch of the Armed Forces certifying the existence of a service-connected disability, or the award of the Purple Heart, etc. The overall rating must be identified on your certification letter or separation orders.
Documentation must be received by the closing date shown in this vacancy announcement. If you fail to submit any of the required documentation, you will not be granted veterans' preference. Additional information on veterans' preference can be found in the VetGuide.
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits.
Review our benefits
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
In order to be eligible to receive consideration for this position, you must be able to: (1) report to the duty station location listed in this vacancy announcement, if selected; and (2) be available to work the schedule identified.
GS-04: $14.95 (Step 01) to $19.44 (Step 10);
GS-05: $16.73 (Step 01) to $21.75 (Step 10)
NOTE: First time hires to the Federal Government are typically hired at the Step 01.
As a Student Trainee (IT Support) you will serve in a trainee capacity, performing routine and recurring development assignments to acquire knowledge and understanding of functions, principles, practices, and methods used in the area of Information Technology.
Not requiredSupervisory status
Help This job is open to
Current students enrolled in accredited educational institutions from high school to graduate level. Includes internships, pathways and other student programs.
Open to all qualified students who are U.S. Citizens and meet the eligibility requirements for the Pathways Internship Program as described below.
If you match the profile and are interested in this exiting career opportunity, please apply in confidence by filling online application form at :
Please note that we do not accept any CV submissions. If You want to apply for a job that you have discovered on karomall.com, simply click on the provided job application link and follow the instructions afterwards. You'll be taken to a more detailed page.