Code Inspector Job City of Seafordby admin on more than 30 days
City of Seaford Jobs 2020Description :
CITY OF SEAFORD
CLASS TITLE: Code Inspector
PREPARED BY: Charles Anderson, City Manager
June Merritt, Director of Human Resources
Michael Bailey, Building Official
DATE: April 30, 2008
REVISED: June 17, 2020
This position involves the administration, inspection, application and enforcement of various City codes. The employee should have experience in the construction trades and the interpretation of various code related documents and have demonstrated a positive attitude towards the assignments given and with the personnel the employee is assigned to work. The employee must be a self-starter and be able to work effectively with the public and co-workers and follow-up to see assignments are completed in accordance with the department standards.
MACHINES, EQUIPMENT, TOOLS USED: Computers, motor vehicle, calculator, copier, fax, tape measure, drafting tools. This list is to establish examples, but not intended to be all inclusive of every machine to operate, piece of equipment or tools to be used.
EXAMPLES OF PRIMARY FUNCTIONS AND DUTIES:
· Assist in the development and enforcement of City zoning, building, plumbing, fire, water, sewer, maintenance and all municipal and energy conservation codes.
· Accepts applications for building construction and alterations.
· Prepares plumbing permits.
· Interprets the code for homeowners, landlords, tenants, contractors, and builders to achieve compliance with City codes.
· Reviews proposed construction plans, issues building permits, and is responsible to close them once the project is complete.
· Tracks and files all building permits.
o Perform on-site inspection of site work construction including water & sanitary sewer components and connections to City infrastructure, road base and paving, concrete curbing and sidewalks checking for compliance with the City’s Standard Design Specifications.
o Perform on-site inspections of residential/commercial/industrial building construction including footing/foundation, framing, structural, weatherization, insulation, plumbing, and life safety.
o Perform inspections of residential properties for compliance with the City Housing Code.
o Perform inspections of commercial/industrial properties for compliance with the International Property Maintenance Code.
· Maintain the permit database.
· Log all inspections in the permit database and submit Certificates of Occupancy/Compliance to the Building Official for final review/approval.
· Performs other tasks to assure that construction practices meet minimum size, grades, types, and quality requirements.
· Achieve compliance with codes by working with the public or initiates prosecution in noncompliance cases.
· Assist other City Departments regarding construction projects undertaken by the City.
· Recommend changes in the City code to the Building Official.
· Recommend improvements in the day to day operations of the department to increase overall efficiency and effectiveness.
· Coordinates the recordation of the documents with Sussex County.
· Tracks all easements and assures a copy is in central files.
· Issues Special Event Permits for Non-City Sponsored events within City limits.
· Issues Road Closure Notices for Special Events and Utility Work.
· Perform any number of additional tasks assigned by the Building Official.
· Perform various tasks throughout the City when the need arises.
CITY HALL FACILITY MAINTENANCE COORDINATOR:
· Responsible for coordinating contractors/vendors for various maintenance tasks around City Hall including:
o HVAC repair/maintenance
o Electrical repair
o Plumbing repair
o Carpet cleaning
o Custodial services
o Fire alarm/sprinkler system maintenance
o Trash/recycling disposal
o Exterior power washing
o Ordering maintenance supplies, paper products, etc.
o Raising and lowering City/State/US flags and replacing tattered flags when needed.
o Annual hanging of Christmas decorations and lighting on the exterior of the building.
· Perform reviews of residential construction plans for compliance with the International Codes as adopted by the City.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL, AND ABILITIES:
· Ability to obtain certification as a Residential Building Inspector within one year of employment.
· Thorough knowledge of building construction methods, principles, and practices.
· Computer skills are a necessity of this position. A thorough knowledge of Microsoft Office programs and the ability to learn new software will be required.
· Ability to understand the city zoning, building, housing, fire, energy conservation, plumbing, water and sewer codes.
· Ability to read blueprints, maps and building specifications.
· Ability to detect and correct building code violations.
· Ability to interpret, apply and enforce codes clearly, impartially and professionally.
· Ability to maintain cordial, tactful and effective relationships with the general public.
· Ability to organize and administer the inspection processes.
· Ability to communicate effectively in written and oral form.
· Present a professional appearance to the general public.
· Ability to climb ladders without fear of heights.
· Ability to withstand adverse weather conditions.
· Ability to enter and inspect confined spaces without fear including crawling under existing buildings.
· Must be able to work effectively with other inspectors and department supervisors.
· Graduation from high school with some additional course work in structural/architectural engineering preferred.
· Minimum five years of experience in building construction work preferred.
· Certification in Building Inspections and Plan Reviews from the International Code Council are preferred.
· Possessing some drafting skills is beneficial.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED: Receives general direction from the Building Official and may receive direction from Assistant City Manager or City Manager.
SUPERVISION GIVEN: None.
WORK ENVIRONMENT AND PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
Environment: Work in the outdoors; significant exposure to extreme cold, heat, and noise, vibration, chemicals, fumes, odors, dusts, mechanical hazards, electrical hazards, pathogen born sewage; work and/or walk on various types of surfaces including slippery or uneven surfaces and rough terrain.
Physical: Primary functions require sufficient physical ability to work in a field setting and operate assigned equipment. Positions in this class typically require climbing, balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, reaching, standing, walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, grasping, feeling, talking, hearing, seeing and repetitive motions. CONSTANT exertion of force in excess of 20 pounds to move objects. FREQUENT exertion of force in excess of 50 pounds to move objects. OCCASIONAL exertion of force in excess of 100 pounds, transport materials to distances up to 200 yards with or without assistance, grasp and grip to lift and carry equipment, hand and arm strength and foot dexterity to operate automobile or light pickup.
Vision: See in the normal visual range with or without correction; vision sufficient to read computer screens and printed documents and to operate equipment.
Hearing: Hear in the normal audio range with or without correction.
State of Delaware Class D driver’s license or above.
· Within one year of employment:
o Certified by the International Code Council (ICC) as a Residential
· Within three years of employment:
o Commercial Building Inspector
o Residential Plumbing Inspector
o Commercial Plumbing Inspector
o Residential Plans Examiner
Employee Residency Requirement:
In that the job duties and responsibilities of City employees require their knowledge of matters of community interest and their immediate availability to perform their duties in special, unique and emergency situations, all City employees, shall be required to reside within a thirty (30) mile radius of Seaford City Hall.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $45,968.00 per year
- Dental Insurance
- Disability Insurance
- Flexible Spending Account
- Health Insurance
- Life Insurance
- Paid Time Off
- Retirement Plan
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Vision Insurance
- 8 Hour Shift
- Day Shift
- Monday to Friday
- Building Construction Work: 5 years (Preferred)
- High school or equivalent (Required)
- Seaford, DE 19973 (Required)
- One location
- Waiting period may apply
If you strong confindence you meet the requirement above, please register and sign in to City of Seaford e-recruitment website with link as follow :
Please note that we do not accept any CV submissions. If You want to apply for a job that you have discovered on karomall.com, simply click on the provided job application link and follow the instructions afterwards. You'll be taken to a more detailed page.