Public Safety Telecommunications Trainee Job City of Hampton VAby admin on December 25, 2020
City of Hampton, VA Jobs 2021Description :
Provides information and communications support services to Firefighting crews, Emergency Medical Services, and Police Patrol units and investigators. Answers Emergency 911 and non-emergency calls for service and information. Dispatches appropriate emergency personnel and equipment to citizen complaints.Examples of Work
- Responds calmly and tactfully to callers on Emergency 911 and non-emergency information lines. Obtains complete and accurate information including names, addresses, nature of complaint, type of emergency, and all other necessary information. Enters the information into the Computer Aided Dispatch System (CADS). Uses desktop (NICE) Inform Recorder to clarify information as needed.
- Receives incoming emergency medical calls, responding calmly to potentially hysterical callers. Follows protocol in the delivery of information to assist the caller in stabilization of the patient. Incoming calls can range from extreme critical to minimal involvement.
- Monitors the exact location and status of all Police field units in designated districts of the City of Hampton, maintains records of all field activity and uses CADS and 800 MHz radio system to dispatch field units to a complaint for investigation. Relays to officers on duty all pertinent information originating in Hampton and surrounding jurisdictions. Uses correct radio terminology. Records information transmitted by Police Patrol Officers. Records disposition of all assigned complaints.
- Uses CADS and 800 MHz system to dispatch Fire units and Emergency Medical Services of complaints for investigation. Monitors the responding Fire units and/or Emergency Medical Services, maintaining constant radio contact. Records all field activity using CADS.
- Receives and dispatches Public Works emergency calls after hours as needed.
- Responds to calls from citizens on non-emergency information lines. Answers questions or transfers call to Communication Supervisor when the call becomes questionable or too complex.
- Makes inquiries for data from the computer through the use of CADS. Inspects and updates data from field information. Reviews computer output and verifies information. Enters predetermined instructions into computer terminal to begin, resume, and close operations. Reviews all entries for accuracy.
- Uses CADS to access information through DMV, NCIC, and VCIN networks as requested by patrol units. Runs inquiries such as license checks, stolen vehicles checks, warrant checks, surveillance checks, and social security and operator's license checks. Notifies units of the results of computer checks.
- Maintains wreckers' lists; uses emergency listings in CADS of the businesses throughout the city to respond to emergency calls after regular business hours. Uses CADS for street indexing and mapping. Uses the Telephone Device for the Deaf (TDD) as needed. Notifies all applicable public utility agencies of information relative to interruption of services to the public. Maintains a variety of logs and records as assigned.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Completion of a standard high school course of study or the GED. Ability to pass a standard critical testing procedure; must successfully complete the City of Hampton Public Safety Telecommunications Trainee program to include Call Taker, Fire and Police Telecommunications; familiarity with computer terminals, knowledge of geography of the city, ability to speak clearly and precisely over the telephone and radio; ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing; ability to develop and maintain harmonious working relationships. Must successfully complete a Police Division background investigation to include polygraph examination and pre-employment screening for controlled substances. Must be able to successfully obtain an EMD/CPR certification within a specified length of time in accordance with internal guidelines and a VCIN certification within 6 months of employment.Features
Performs duties under the general supervision of a Communications Supervisor. Duties may be performed at the Public Safety or City Hall Communication Center which operates on a 24-hour basis. Incumbents are assigned to a twelve-hour shift which may require working nights, weekends, and holidays and extended shifts as required. Incumbents are required to work in situations of extreme stress. Requires regular, predictable attendance.
Should you are interested and qualified, please apply in confidence by filling online application form at :
Please note that we do not accept any CV submissions. If You want to apply for a job that you have discovered on karomall.com, simply click on the provided job application link and follow the instructions afterwards. You'll be taken to a more detailed page.