Associate Genetic Counselor Job City of Hope Duarteby admin on December 22, 2020
City of Hope Job Vacancies 2021Description :
City of Hope, an innovative biomedical research, treatment and educational institution with over 6,000 employees, is dedicated to the prevention and cure of cancer and other life-threatening diseases and guided by a compassionate, patient-centered philosophy.
Founded in 1913 and headquartered in Duarte, California, City of Hope is a remarkable non-profit institution, where compassion and advanced care go hand-in-hand with excellence in clinical and scientific research. City of Hope is a National Cancer Institute designated Comprehensive Cancer Center and a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, an alliance of the nation’s leading cancer centers that develops and institutes standards of care for cancer treatment.
As part of a multidisciplinary team, provides information to individuals and families about genetics and cancer risk, facilitates genetic testing, and provides psychosocial support to cope with cancer risk. Professional practice as a health team member is defined by departmental policies with institutional approval. Emphasis is placed on health promotion and patient education. Acts as a patient advocate in all ethical and legal aspects.
Key Responsibilities include:
- Collection and interpretation of 3-generation family histories (both maternal and paternal).
- Review of medical records for key affected individuals.
- Pedigree assessment and recognition of cancer susceptibility syndromes.
- Use appropriate models to estimate genetic and empiric cancer risk.
- Informed consent discussion, including benefits of genetic knowledge and family risk communication, privacy, confidentiality and discrimination issues.
- Educate patients about the medical and psychosocial implications of cancer risk and genetic testing.
- Selection of laboratory, coordination of testing and interpretation of test results.
- Provide patient education regarding risk–appropriate medical management and screening options.
- Psychosocial assessment.
- Provide post-test education, counseling and support.
- Dictate medical reports.
- Moderate and participate in case conferencing
- Field inquiries related to genetic testing/counseling services from patients and the public
- Participate in the training of students (genetic counseling interns, fellows)
- Develop protocols/standardized procedures for practice in the department.
- Enhance professional growth and development through participation in educational programs, reviewing current literature, attending in-service meetings and workshops.
- Attend and participate in meetings.
- Complete required research compliance training to be able to participate in research collaborations.
- Train for and facilitate informed consent for research studies.
- Complete and provide critical feedback on Intensive Course (IC)
- Participate in IC onsite workshops
Basic education, experience and skills required for consideration:
- Master of Science in Genetic Counseling with ABGC board certification or Active Candidate Status or MSN/MN and APRN license.
- Entry level position with academic training in a cancer genetics setting.
- Specialized courses and clinical training in the genetics of cancer.
- Ability to accurately assess heritable cancer risk
- Ability to effectively communicate genetic concepts of cancer risk information to patients and families
- Ability to deal with families in crisis
- Work well with supervision in the clinic setting
- Work independently with minimal supervision in the research venue
- Microsoft Word
- Progeny pedigree database
- Must obtain licensure and board certification within 24 months of employment.
City of Hope is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
If you feel that you can meet the qualification and up to the challenge, please send directly through :
Please note that we do not accept any CV submissions. If You want to apply for a job that you have discovered on karomall.com, simply click on the provided job application link and follow the instructions afterwards. You'll be taken to a more detailed page.